Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Oh Lord I Feel Like I'm Dying!


With apologies to the Allman Brothers. I've been starting back walking. With all of the stuff happening my last year of teaching I let my walking lapse, resulting in a nice pot belly. One of my goals after retirement was to lose weight and get back into shape. Whew! I had forgotten how rough it is to walk for extended periods of time. I started at about 3 miles and today made it to 4 1/2 miles. I would like to slowly get into shape and back to the 6-7 miles I used to walk. It is great exercise but you have to be careful in the summer to pick your times wisely so you don't overheat. I just finished my 4 1/2 miles and am cooling off and resting my aching feet. It will probably take several weeks to get back into shape.

In the meantime I have been going through a few thousand photographs and picking the best ones. I intend to submit them to a number of stock photo services. This should give me a couple of thousand dollars extra per year to supplement my lousy pension.

2 comments:

BipolarBunny said...

Have you considered a treadmill? I have one. Good stuff.

Michelle said...

Good for you! And those photos you took while walking were just the best.

If it makes you feel any better, I have a longer way to go than you. I'm at 2 1/2 miles, which just feels ridiculous. It is because of the weight, I think. Anyway, I've been working at it for three weeks now, and things are getting easier. If I had to do it outside in this heat, I don't think I'd get anywhere!